Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unlike Utah winters

Those of you living in Utah have a different kind of winter. The snow comes, the sun comes out, temps rise, and the snow melts.

But here in Illinois it is a different situation. The snow comes, temps don't rise, the sun shines less, and the snow remains.

Here's a view of Mt. Summit. It has been here all winter. It had melted down to about two feet high by last week but we've added to it. It is a mix of snow and road salt so it is pretty solid once you get down a few inches.

Current temp: -8 but the wind out of the north makes it feel like -30.
Forecast for tonight: -17 with -35 windchill.

The other day I was shovelling the roof. We have a couple of flat roof areas on the house and if you get a foot of snow up there you risk damage from leaks and the weight of the snow.

I'm preaching to the choir for you Milwaukee folks but this is an education for your Westerners.

So, why do we live here? Good government!

3 comments:

"The Landlord" said...

HAHA - good gov.t - wow! Actually, I think Utah could take a lesson from the Midwest this year! There are SO many roads that STILL haven't been plowed well, but we haven't had snow in weeks!! It's a sad winter for Utah roads!

It's Not a Tuba said...

Well, since we didn't shovel (much), our driveway's ice is looking to be around for quite a while. But I have to admit, today's temps just around freezing seem pretty darn cold to me . . . I guess I'm getting soft.

Matt and Valerie said...

Which is a BIG reason why I want to live in Utah - gotta love the weather there! And yes, I will definitely miss our fabulous, honest, hard-working government. :-) No more arrests to keep things interesting (hopefully not anyway).