Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The first date

It all started on October 1, 1971. I asked Susan to go to Homecoming with me and she said YES! We double dated with Wayne and Kathy. Susan wore a long, yellow formal with elegant white gloves.

We ate at a restaurant called Balsam Embers. It was a nice place located on Foothill Drive overlooking the city until they built a K Mart in the lot right below it. You could ignore the air conditioning units on the gravel roof below and still see the glittering lights of the city in the distance.

After dinner we went to the dance, held in the rotunda of the state capitol. We danced a little and wandered around looking at the displays of sheep and state parks. And we sat in the shoeshine chairs and talked.

It was a wonderful date. We had lots to talk about and felt at-ease together.

There was a second date and a third...by Halloween I was hooked.

And here we are 37 years after that first date and we still like each other. And we love each other, too!

I am blessed with a wonderful companion.

Dad

1 comment:

Que Sera said...

You guys are cute. I'm glad you guys are my parents :)