Thursday, October 2, 2008

First Date Too


In all fairness I should add my two bits to the First Date post. Let's go back a couple of weeks, though. There I was, my hairnet in place, my food-laden industrial apron securely tied, my splattered once-white nurse shoes on my feet, hunched over the big sink near the giant dishwashing machine, when suddenly Young Doug saunters over and asks me for a date. Romantic! Well, his industrial apron was also securely tied though I wasn't sure if his head was on tight enough at that point, but I think I looked up from my sudsy cooking pot and said I would like to go.

When he arrived at 219 Crusader Drive in the Red Flash wearing a black suit and his flowered tie, he created quite a sensation at the Gregersen household. Mom and Dad appeared, all smiles, and visited with Doug for a few minutes while my brother Hal peeked around the corner grinning and smirking to beat the band.

We did, indeed, go to dinner at the Balsam Embers, my very first fancy-schmancy restaurant experience. I had no clue what to do, so I carefully watched Doug and the others and tried not to look too awkward. I remember ordering pork chops since they sounded familiar. (It's not really that easy to look cool and still dig around pork bones to get the meat off.) Doug ordered beef burgundy and his friend Wayne ordered frog legs, so that created some interesting conversation.
The Capitol Rotunda was beautiful and everyone looked so great. Doug introduced me to a bunch of people and we did actually dance a couple of dances but mostly walked around. He remembers the sheep; I remember the racecar that had broken some kind of record at the Salt Flats. We were very comfortable together and did have a great time.
I suppose I was hooked by Halloween, too. Maybe Doug's courage in the face of frightening ghouls on our date at the haunted house/Old Mill that really clinched it...

Anyway, here is a copy of the homecoming dance ticket from that first date for your viewing pleasure. He has carried it in his wallet for hmmm, 37-odd years (with emphasis on the "odd"? As I often say to myself in the words of the famous actor, "You picked a good one!"
OXOXMOM

2 comments:

R&B said...

That is so Sweet!!

"The Landlord" said...

I Love that you guys have posted this stuff!! It's awesome! And i think it's cute Dad has had the ticket with him all these years!