Sunday, October 26, 2008

Another Smoker in the Family

Ok, I've told you about my cigar smokings days, and the cowboys who smoked the Book of Mormon.

Now, as promised, I'll tell you about another of your ancestors who took up the habit.


From the book Life Sketches: "It was quite common in those days for old people to smoke, and my grandmother indulged in this habit; she would often ask me to light her pipe for her.


In doing so I learned to smoke and liked it so much that whenever I saw anyone smoking, I had a craving desire to take a few whiffs myself. This was innocently indulged in at intervals, for a number of years, until at length I was awakened to a sense of the danger of the habit.


"There was a monitor within that told me it was wrong, and what it would lead to if persisted in; I should be, if I lived, an old lady smoker. This thought disgusted me, for I never did like to see a woman smoke, or men either as for that matter, so the habit was broken off entirely, although it was hard for me to drop it."


Who is she? Aurelia Spencer Rogers, founder of the Primary.

3 comments:

Que Sera said...

I'm glad to know that her "monitor" was working. I wish everyone had one :)

"The Landlord" said...

Seriously?! She's a Heaton ancestor?! How cool! What a neat story!

Aud Pod said...

Yeah - that's a story to be proud of :) Actually I let the Primary President in our ward a few years back borrow the book and she loved that part. It showed that she was human.