Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shadowlands

I just finished watching the movie Shadowlands from 1993. It's about C. S. Lewis and Joy Gresham.

At one point Lewis is struggling with the illness and suffering of his wife (Gresham) and one of his colleagues remarks, "I know how hard you've been praying and now God is answering your prayer," as she shows signs of recovery.

Lewis replies: "That's not why I pray. I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping.
"It doesn't change God; it changes me."

And that it a great lesson about prayer that we can all learn. God knows our need before we ask. (3 Nephi 13:8)

And another great lesson I've learned about prayer; God can understand even if we can't articulate our needs. Even if all we can muster is a groan, He understands. (Romans 8:26)

But we must pray just the same. because "It changes (us)."

~Dad

2 comments:

R&B said...

So very, very true. We visited my brother in Logan a month or so ago, and one speaker was assigned the talk by Elder Bednar on prayer. He made the comment that if our prayers are honest and sincere, then we will be different when we get up off of our knees than we were when we got down on them. That thought really struck me. It's true.

~Beth

"The Landlord" said...

I really like these thoughts - thanks Dad and Beth